What is Mindful Eating?
Part of successful long term weight management is minimizing deprivation and eating foods that you enjoy on a regular basis. Deprivation or avoidance may work in the short-term, but usually leads to feeling out of control, self-criticism, and eating more.
It is helpful to adopt a more healthy and balanced approach to eating.
Vitamins are a group of organic substances (made by plants or animals), that are essential for normal cell function, growth, and development.
There are 13 essential vitamins, meaning they are needed for the body to function. They are grouped into two categories:
Fat Soluble Vitamins: A, D, E, & K
• Small amounts needed to maintain good health
• Stored in the body’s liver and fatty tissue
• High doses can be toxic and lead to health problems
Water Soluble Vitamins:
B-complex group & Vitamin C
• Not stored in the body and must be replaced each day
• These vitamins are easily destroyed or weakened during food storage and preparation
• Citrus fruits are a good source of vitamin C
Minerals are substances that come from the earth (soil and water) and are absorbed by plants. Humans absorb minerals from the foods that we eat. These are important for optimum health. There are two kinds of minerals:
• Includes calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, sodium, potassium, chloride, and sulfur
• Body requires large amounts
• Includes iron, manganese, copper, iodine, zinc, cobalt, fluoride, and selenium
• Body requires limited amounts
WHY ARE VITAMINS AND MINERALS IMPORTANT?
Vitamins and minerals have many functions that help the body carry out different processes. Vitamins and minerals assist the body in the following ways:
✓ Protects arteries
✓ Produces healthy skin
✓ Boosts your immune system
✓ Balances hormones
✓ Energy production
✓ Proper functioning of your brain and nervous system
✓ Slows down the ageing process ✓ Protects against certain cancers and heart
FACTS TO CONSIDER
Vitamin and mineral supplements are considered dietary supplements, not drugs, so they do not have to be tested in order to prove their safety or effectiveness before they are put on the market. They are considered safe until demonstrated
by the Food and Drug Administration to be dangerous. Gees, play the guinea pig or russian rulette with your health & wellness. Key is to do your research, understand ingredients and sources, plus processing.
The American Medical Association has stated that it is acceptable for a healthy adult to use a multi- vitamin/mineral supplement. I say first try to get V & M from a food source. Raw food will provide the best option, if that is available.
Go to http://www.usda.gov for a list of recommended daily allowances for other vitamins and minerals.